Dublin and Donegal meet again at All Ireland quarter final stage


The two teams met in the group stages of last seasons TG4 All Ireland Championship

Dublin’s Sinead Goldrick in action against Donegal, both sides meet for the second year in a row at the Quarter Final stage of the TG4 All Ireland Championship
Sinead Goldrick of Dublin in action against Yvonne Bonner of Donegal during the TG4 All-Ireland Senior Ladies Football Championship Round 1 match between Dublin and Donegal at Kingspan Breffni Park in Cavan. Photo by Seb Daly/Sportsfile

Dublin and Donegal meet for the second year in a row in the TG4 All Ireland Championship this time at the quarter final stage with the  game taking place this Bank Holiday Monday in Carrick-On-Shannon at 4pm.

The two side last met last Halloween night in Kingspan Breffni Park and produced thriller as the fireworks lit up the Cavan sky around the stadium.

Dublin got off to an out of character nervy start with Donegal settling quickly into their stride to take an early two point lead.

But with Jennifer Dunne dominating the middle of the park Dublin got into the stride.

Dunne went on a rampaging run and then laid off the final pass to the now retired Noelle Healy who shot low to the net to give Dublin a lead they never relinquished.

Healy was denied a second moments later with Ciara Hegarty clearing off her own goal-line. Nicole Gordon found the net for Donegal to cut the Dublin lead to two points.

But Dublin added points late in the half from Sinead Aherne, Sarah McCaffrey and Sinead Goldrick to lead at the break 1-07 to 1-02.

Donegal though came flying out of the blocks on the resumption and Karen Guthrie played in Geraldine McLaughlin who finished to the net, Guthrie then added a point to leave the bare minimum between the sides.

Despite the pressure from their opponents Dublin managed to keep their noses in front and 14 minutes from time came the decisive score of the game.

Keeping in tune with the traditional spooky night came a freakish goal for Dublin. Captain Sinead Aherne took a shot for a point, the ball struck the top of the right hand post, crashed to the ground and somehow spun back into the net.

Donegal though refused to lie down and scored three points in a row, but a final point from Noelle Healey made sure Dublin ran out 2-13 to 2-10 winners.

Dublin have remained unbeaten in their run this year to the quarter final stage securing wins over Tyrone and Waterford in Group 3.

An opening round defeat to Galway left Donegal with a shootout between themselves and Kerry to claim second place in Group 4 and a place in the quarter final.

After a tough battle Donegal prevailed by 2-13 to 2-09 to set up a meeting with defending champions Dublin on the August Bank Holiday in Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada in Carrick-On-Shannon with the game being shown Live on TG4.