Na Fianna and Crokes Set Up Hurling and Football Double Chance


It’s a repeat of last year’s Dublin Senior 1 Hurling Championship Final with Na Fianna out for revenge

Senior 1 Hurling Championship

Kilmacud Crokes 1-21 Ballyboden St. Endas 0-15
Saturday, October 8th. Parnell Park

Despite an early wobble against Ballyboden St. Endas, Kilmacud Crokes are back in another Dublin Senior 1 Hurling Final and set to defend their crown. And obviously this spells huge disappointment for beaten Ballyboden who were also knocked out of the Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship a week prior.

In a very interesting twist it’s not only Crokes who are in contention for a hurling and footall double. Na Fianna are also in search of the same grandslam prize.

Boden quickly found their stride and unsettled Crokes in the early going. With a 0-06 to 0-03 lead after 11 minutes things were looking good. But by the 15th Alex Considine had found the net to set his side off and they never really looked back. They finished the half 1-12 to 0-10 and ascending.

Considine was withdrawn just minutes into the second half but with Oisin O’Rorke on free taking duty the momentum never really swang away from the reigning champions. Ronan Hayes came to the fore on the restart and they troubled Boden to the point where a comeback never looked on the cards. Boden only managed 5 points in a bleak second half with Crokes registering 0-09 to make that the difference between the sides at full time.

Na Fianna 2-18 Cuala 0-17
Sunday, October 9th. Parnell Park

Walking away beaten finalists a year ago, Na Fianna did everything in their power to make a return to the Senior 1 Hurling decider for another crack at getting their hands on the silverware. And in some they’ll be seeking revenge on Crokes who broke their hearts last season.

Lead by the trusty target hitting Donal Burke, the Mobhi Road men had punched themselves into a 10 point lead at the half time break, thanks to goals from Diarmuid Clerkin and keeper Jonathan Treacy.

Na Fianna had shown pure class from the throw in and held the lead for the entire game, keeping former champions Cuala at bay. And it never looked like Na Fianna’s 2-12 to 0-08 lead would ever be dented.

The Dalkey men hinted at a comeback in the third quarter scoring 0-06 wihtout reply, four of those coming from ex county man David Treacy. It reduced the lead to 0-04 but Cuala never seemed capable of turning up the heat any further. Burke showed true class in the closing stages of the game scoring five of Na Fianna’s final 6 scores.