Go Ahead Senior 1 Hurling Championship Round 3 Results


We head into a 2 week break as Round 3 of the Senior Hurling Championship plays out some big results

Senior 1 Hurling Championship

Three rounds down, two rounds to go in the top flight of the Go Ahead Dublin Senior Hurling Championship. We might still not have any news on an inter county management team, but there’s plenty of talent on show to keep us entertained over the coming months. Yesterday Kilmacud, Vincents, Cuala and Plunketts all picked up wins to pass the halfway point in the round robin phase of the Senior 1 competition. Let’s break the groups down.

Senior 1 Hurling Championship, Group 1
Cuala 1-25 Na Fianna 2-15
Parnell Park
St. Oliver Plunkett Eoghan Ruadh 2-19 St. Judes 0-15
O’Toole Park

Two for two yesterday for former county, Leinster and All Ireland Champions Cuala. After beating Plunketts in their opener at the end of July they recorded a 1-25 to 2-15 victory over a battling Na Fianna yesterday at Parnell Park. That win sees them level things with Ballyboden St. Endas in the Group 1 table as Boden sat out this round.

In a free flowing and entertaining game the sides were level at half time with the score at 0-13 to 2-07. Sean Baxter netted Na Fianna’s first goal 10 minutes into yesterday’s game. And the ever reliable Donal Burke converted from the penalty spot in the 24th to give his side a 2 point advantage. But the equally reliable David Treacy and brother Sean used their big game experience to draw the sides level at the break. The lead bounced back and forth on the restart and only really went in the favour of Cuala when Liam Murphy found the net in the 55th minute. And the Dalkey side pushed on from there to see out a 7 point win over the Mobhi Road men.

At the same time on the other side of the city St. Oliver Plunkett Eoghan Ruadh recovered from their opening 2 defeats in this year’s competition to record a 2-19 to 0-15 win over St. Judes. leading by 0-10 to 0-07 at half time in O’Toole Park Plunketts pushed on and with already a 5 point advantage they hit the net to push that lead to 8 points. Judes attempted to recover but a second Plunketts goal saw them 0-09 ahead and they ended the game with a double figure lead to see things out.

Plunketts now sit out Round 4, with Judes facing Cuala and Na Fianna entertaining Ballyboden St. Endas.

Senior 1 Hurling Championship, Group 2
St. Brigids 1-15 Kilmacud Crokes 0-25
O’Toole Park
St. Vincents 2-20 Craobh Chiarain 2-13
Parnell Park

Kilmacud Crokes made it two wins from two yesterday afternoon at O’Toole Park with a 0-25 to 1-15 victory over St. Brigids. An early goal saw Brigids take the advantage, and that helped them to a 1-10 to 0-12 lead at half time. But reigning champions Kilmacud were certainly not going down without a fight. Defensively they throttled Brigids to only 0-05 in the second half and racked up 13 scores of their own to end the contest 7 scores clear. With 2 games to go things are looking very positive for Crokes advancing to the knockout stages again. But they’ll have Lucan Sarsfields and Vincents to contend with.

At Parnell Park St. Vincents added another win to their opening round win and second round draw, beating Craobh Chiarain by 2-20 to 2-13. But the scoreline doesn’t reflect the closeness of the contest with the sides on 1-11 a piece going into the Donnycarney dressing rooms at the break.

Rian McBride opened the scoring with a goal inside the opening minute of the game setting the tone for the Marino men. Croabh Chiarain chipped away and levelled on 1-00 to 0-03 on 7 minutes. Just past the midway point of the half with Vinnies leading by 1-08 to 0-07 Robbie Mahon found the net to give Chairains a lifeline. From there it was the bounce of a ball between the sides until the half time whistle.

The second half started just like the first, with Billy Ryan finding the net this time for Chiarains putting into the ascendancy. And again Vincents would not go away and had tied the game within 4 minutes of the goal. And the half continued back and forth until the closing stages when Vincents began to pull away. They’d pulled four scores clear before Cian McBride hit the net, drawing a line under the tie and sealing the Vincents win.

Next weekend will see a return to football action, but stay tuned throughout the week as they Camogie and Ladies Football Championship action continues.