Cuala And Brigids Complete The Senior A Hurling Semi Final Line Up


Victories for Cuala and St. Brigids in yesterday’s set of Senior A Hurling Championship Quarter Finals

Senior A Hurling

Na Fianna 2-16
St. Brigids 2-19

Johnny McGuirks Brigids side booked a slot in the Dublin Senior A Hurling Championship Semi Finals with a three point win over Na Fianna in Parnell Park yesterday afternoon.

The Russell park men will now face Craobh Chiarain in the last four clash on October 6th in Parnell Park. Manager McGuirk starred for Chiarains in his own playing days which throws an interesting angle on the cup tie.

McGuirk’s son and namesake Johnny Jnr contributed one of Brigids two goals in the game. That came in the fifth minute of the second session. And broke the deadlock as the side were level at the break.

Brigid’s finished out the game the better with Paul Winters, Eoghan Dunne and Cian O’Sullivan doing the scoring as they progress in the competition.

Three consecutive scores by the mid point of the first half by Winters saw Brigids take a 0-07 to 0-04 lead. Seán Currie converted his second free of the match for Na Fianna. But Brigid’s forward Kevin Callaghan hit the net for their opening goal.

AJ Murphy and Cian O’Sullivan exchanged points before brothers Seán and Colin Currie scored for Na Fianna. Eoghan McHugh closed the gap to two points before Donal Burke rattled the net to put the Mobhi Road men in front 1-09 to 1-08.

In additional time Winters pointed to leave it all square at half-time.

Winters and McHugh added points for their sides before McGuirk hit Brigid’s second goal.

With ten minutes left on the clock AJ Murphy brought Na Fianna right back into contention with a goal only trailing 2-16 to 2-15. But crucially Brigid’s got the next two scores, both from Cian O’Sullivan.

Murphy was on target again before Winters sealed the victory for Brigid’s with the final score of the competition.

Cuala 3-18
Kilmacud Crokes 1-11

Not content with just being part of Dublin’s historic five in a row success, Con O’Callaghan returned to club action, scoring two of Cuala’s three goals to see off Kilmacud Crokes.

The dual star hit his two goals inside the opening seven minutes and bagged 2-3 in total as Cuala cruised to a thirteen point victory.

The Dalkey men, who are no strangers to championship success, will now face St Vincent’s in their Senior A Hurling Championship Semi Final.

It was a bit of retribution for Cuala as Kilmacud Crokes saw them out of the competition at the semi final stage last year. But Crokes were rocked by Cuala’s opening exchanges.

O’Callaghan’s first goal was pure class. He powered past Ryan O’Dwyer before rocketing an angled drive into the net. His second from close range, came after a brilliant run and pass from Seán Moran.

A converted penalty from Eddie Gibson in the 17th gave Kilmacud the boost they needed and left the Stillorgan men one point shy of Cuala on 2-03 to 1-05. But Cuala would bag the next three scores as David Treacy, O’Callaghan and Darragh O’Connell were all on target.

Before half time Cuala had extended their lead to five scores after points from Colum Sheanon and Colm Cronin.

Cuala started the second half stronger hitting the opening two points from a David Treacy ’65’ and point from play from brother Seán.

Between the 38th and 49th minute Cuala upped the ante and pulled the game away from Crokes. They added 1-06 without reply. They almost had another goal but Crokes keeper Matt Collins denied Darragh O’Connell.

Jake Malone got a goal in this spell when Colum Sheanon spotted Malone unmarked close to the Kilmacud goal.

Con O’Callaghan, Mark Schutte, Darragh O’Connell and David Treacy closed out the game, expelling comeback hopes for Anthony Daly’s panel.

(video credits: Official Dublin GAA via YouTube)