Chiarains and Vincents reach the Senior A Hurling Last Four


Yesterday saw the first two teams through to the Dublin Senior A Hurling Championship Semi Finals

Senior A Hurling

Craobh Chiarain 3-14
Lucan Sarsfield 2-13

Goals from Kieran McGouran and Billy Ryan inside the opening two minutes gave the Craobh Chiarain a lead they never conceded to put them through to the last four in the first of yesterday’s Dublin Senior A Hurling Championship quarter finals.

A point from Francis Usanga in the third minute put Craobh 2-1 to 0-1 ahead. But Chris Crummey took responsibility to get a foothold for Lucan when he sent an angled drive to the net past Stephen Chester.

Chester was a central to ChiarĂ¡ins victory. He drove some massive puck outs in the opening half putting pressure on the Lucan defence.

Scores from Billy Ryan, Francis Usanga, Pat Kelly and Cian Derwin (2) saw Chiarains 2-6 to 1-1 clear by the midpoint of the first-half.

Two minute before half time Crummey converted from the penalty spot, after a foul on younger brother Paul. But Chiarains had the last word in the half. A Francis Usanga goal and point from Billy Ryan gave them a 3-9 to 2-3 lead at the break.

Lucan were stronger on the restart with scores from Paul Crummey, Ben Coffey and CiarĂ¡n Dowling to cut the gap to six points.

The freetaking of Ben Coffey kept Lucan chipping away at Chiarains lead. But overall the goals separated the sides with Billy Ryan, Paul Kelly and Kieran McGouran getting scores to keep Lucan at a distance.

St. Vincents 1-29
Ballyboden St. Endas 2-15
(After extra-time)

John Hetherton’s 0-19 saw St. Vincents victorious over reigning championship Ballyboden St. Endas yesterday’s second quarter final in Donnycarney.

It Hedgo himself who forced extra-time with an injury-time free.

He continued to be the most influential player in extra-time. John added eight points to his already impressive haul, including all six points in the second period.

Vincents started extra-time in with their tales up. Mark Sweeney sent a shot in dropping short and it was brilliantly whipped to the Boden net, past Gary Maguire.

That gave the Marino side a 1-20 to 2-14 advantage. A Paul Ryan free in the 63rd minute was all Boden could muster.

In the second period Hetherton converted three frees, as well as two points from play to lead his side into the last-four.

In normal time Ballyboden settled immediately with a Paul Ryan goal and a point from Niall Ryan to lead 1-1 to 0-0 inside two minutes.

By the interval Paul Ryan had continued to punish Vinnies to lead 1-9 to 0-8. Points from Hetherton and Johnny Walsh had Vins 0-14 to 1-10 in front with just over ten minutes to go but a Conor Dooley goal saw Boden regain the lead.

The sides traded points to the end of normal time. Brian Bolger hit two from play for Vins, before a converted Paul Ryan free in injury-time looked set to give Boden victory.

However, in the third minute of injury-time Hetherton converted a free to ensure the extra game time.