Two late goals secured Kilmacud Crokes a place in this year’s Dublin SFC Semi Finals

Kilmacud Crokes 2-17
St Sylvester’s 0-15

In the first of Sunday’s Senior Football Quarter Finals, Kilmacud Crokes showed astonishing form as they shuck off the challenge of St. Sylvesters to claim the third of this year’s Semi Final slots. A penalty, and a second goal in the third minute of additional time brought the game to an abrupt conclusion.

The returning Paul Mannion and Callum Pearson led from the front sharing 2-05 of the Crokes scoreline. And despite a second half drive from Sylvesters, this game was pretty much over at the break.

By the end of the first quarter, Kilmacud had galloped into a 0-07 to 0-01 lead thanks to Andrew McGowan, Mannion, Shane Horan, Craig Dias, Pat Burke, Pearson and Shane Cunningham. In that time a Michael McCarthy free was the only score on the Parnell Park scoreboard for Sylvesters. Ed Walsh, who scored 0-07 for Sylvesters today, ended a fifteen minute baron spell for his side registering his first score in the 18th. But Crokes were relentless in attack even if they were finding it difficult to convert that into scores. Possession was key and three more scores before the break from Mannion, Cian O’Connor and Cunningham cancelled out score from McCarthy and Walsh to end the half on 0-10 to 0-04.

Sylvesters Fight Back

A definite change of tactic was needed from Sylvesters following the break and pushing Jack Hazley into the forwards seem to do the trick as they outscored Crokes by 0-03 to 0-02 in opening 5 minutes. Horan and Pearson kept the Syls defence busy with another 0-02 from play before McCarthy and Walsh would share three more to close the gap to 0-04 before Pearson struck again. There was plenty of time though.

By the time the third quarter was played, McCarthy and Walsh had added another 0-03 to slowly chip away at the board. Burke and Stephen Williams put the work in to keep a little distance between them, but again McCarthy (2) and Walsh helped close the gap to just 0-02 with 6 minutes of normal time remaining. Had they had been more accurate in the first half and not missed a few easy scores, at this point Sylvesters would have been in the driving seat.

Ed Walsh would deservedly get Sylvesters final score of the game, but sadly it was sandwiched between two Crokes green flags. the first was Mannion’s converted penalty, showing he still had the technique honed since his All Ireland Final spot kick. And in third minute of extra time, Callum Pearson added the the extra shine to the scoreline for Crokes.

Kilmacud now go on to face Ballyboden St. Enda’s in the Championship Semi Finals on October 14th.

Scorers for Kilmacud Crokes:

Callum Pearson 1-03
Paul Mannion 1-02 (1 pen)
Shane Horan 0-03
Shane Cunningham 0-03
Pat Burke 0-02 (2f)
Andy McGowan 0-01
Craig Dias 0-01
Cian O’Connor 0-01 (1 45)
Stephen Williams 0-01

Scorers for St Sylvesters:

Ed Walsh 0-07 (4f)
Michael McCarthy 0-06 (1f)
Jack Hazley 0-02

video credit: DUBSTV via YouTube