Jim Lehane’s Minor Footballers were too strong for Wicklow and now face Westmeath In Leinster Semi Finals

Minor Footballers - Dublin v Wicklow

Dublin 0-20
Wicklow 1-9

Joule Park, Aughrim

Dublin have qualified for this year’s Leinster Minor Football Semi Final following Saturday’s quarter-final at Joule Park, Aughrim. And we now know they’ll face Westmeath in that last four clash on June 22nd.

A comprehensive first half performance laid a solid foundation for the Minor Footballers win as they led 0-12 to 0-3 at the break.

After early exchanges four points without reply by Dublin between the 10th and 14th minute gave them confidence with frees from Fionn Murray (2) and Ryan O’Dwyer, and one from play from Seán Kinsella.

This young Dublin side showed enterprising skill throughout the first half, showing good patience at key moments to pick the right passes when attacking.

Jim Lehane’s side scored seven points on the bounce. Ryan O’Dwyer sent a beautiful score over after a clever pass from Luke Swan and two Alex Rogers points, the second at the end of good interplay between Luke Murphy-Guinane and Robbie Bolger, to lead 0-12 to 0-3 at half-time.

Dublin absorb Wicklow pressure to see out the tie

Dublin never lost their advantage and extended it early in the second half with scores coming from Alex Rogers (2) and Fionn Murray to extend it out by 0-15 to 0-3.

Wicklow had a chance of a goal in the third minute of the second half but full-back Ben Millist read the situation perfectly and pulled off an important interception to stop the shot front of his own goal.

As the half went on, Wicklow upped the ante and poured pressure on Dublin, but to their credit Dublin absorbed all that pressure as Wicklow went for the kill.

A goal in the 49th minute from Joe Prendergast cut the deficit to 0-16 to 1-6 and minutes later Wicklow were awarded a penalty after an umpire brought referee Seamus Mulhare’s attention to an alleged off the ball incident.

Dublin keeper Hugh O’Sullivan saved Mathew Ging’s shot, his second penalty save of the championship following one in the last game against Offaly. With the shot not completely cleared though, Ging got a second chance. Thankfully for Dublin Conor Tyrell was back on the line to make an important save.

Wicklow kept the pressure on Dublin until a Ross Keogh point broke their momentum. Two goal chances around the 60th minute for Dublin failed to hit the target as Luke Curran and the ever dangerous Luke Swan both had opportunities.

Swan and Curran (2) both scored in added time to push the lead out to 0-08 and secure the win.

Dublin Scorers:

F Murray 0-06 (3f, 1 ‘45’)
A Rogers 0-04
R O’Dwyer 0-03 (2f)
L Curran 0-02
L Murphy-Guinane 0-01
S Kinsella 0-01
R Bolger 0-01
L Swan 0-01
R Keogh 0-01

Wicklow Scorers:

S Daly 0-04
J Prendergast 1-01
M Ging 0-03 (2f)
T Keogh 0-01


H O’Sullvan
C Tyrell
B Millist
C Archer
J Lundy
D O’Dowd
K Conroy
L Murphy-Guinane
S Forker
R O’Dwyer
S Kinsella
F Murray
R Bolger
L Swan
A Rogers

Dublin Substitutes:

T Brennan for Kinsella (36)
R Keogh for O’Dwyer (38)
J Rooney for Lundy (43)
L Curran for Bolger (45)
H Colclough for Murphy-Guinane (62)


A Nolan
D Healy
S Kearney
J Brady
D Cooney
T Moran
B Hickey
A Daly Danne
C McDonald
L Harney
S Daly
J Prendergast
E Doyle
J Kirwan
M Ging

Wicklow Substitutes:

E O’Neill for Kirwan (ht)
C Fulham for Brady (ht)
T Shanahan for Cooney (36)
T Keogh for Kearney (50)