Reigning champions Kilmacud Crokes and Na Fianna come our of Group 1 in this year’s Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship

Kilmacud Crokes and Na Fianna qualify from Group 1

Kilmacud Crokes 2-19
St. Sylvesters 1-10

Last night the reigning Dublin Senior 1 Football Champions Kilmacud Crokes completed their unbeaten run in the round robin Group 1 competition. Their 12 point win over St. Sylvesters saw them top the group at Parnell Park.

In the 27th minute Pat Burke it the net and gave his team the boost they needed. And with Crokes coming fast out of the traps in the second half took the game out of sight of Syls.

From a tense start Burke nailed three points between the 7th and 9th to settle Crokes.

Hugh Kenny, Shane Horan and Dan O’Brien all bagged scores for Crokes giving them a 0-6 to 0-1 advantage after 13 minutes with Alex Wright claiming Syls only score.

Syls improved inside the last 10 minutes with points from Ross Hazley and Karl Archibald. Early in the game they did have a goal opportunity but Jamie Kennedy miscued from close range.

Burke’s goal three minutes from the break saw him power by three defenders before guiding the ball over the head of Syls keeper Michael Shiel and into the net. That gave his side a 1-10 to 0-06 advantage

Crokes kicked five unanswered points in six minutes of the restart. Half time sub Callum Pearson claimed two of them with Burke, Shane Cunningham and Hugh Kenny also on target.

In the 50th Ciarán Russell guided the ball into the Syls net and by the 53rd minute Kilmacud were 2-19 to 0-9 clear. Alex Wright converted a penalty at the close of the game for Syls. And Micheál McCarthy added a point to improve the look of the scoreline but the game was well and truly over.

Senior 1 Group 1 Round 3 Standings

Na Fianna 0-13
Ballymun Kickhams 0-8

In the second of last night’s football games a brilliant last ten minutes saw Na Fianna finish secure victory over Ballymun Kickhams and send them through to the last eight.

The Mobhi Road boys were the better side overall. Poor finishing and some great goalkeeping by Sean Currie stifled Na Fianna from winning by a bigger margin. Going into the last ten minutes they lead 0-8 to 0-7. Jason Whelan had narrowed the gap for Ballymun to the minimum.

Dessie Farrell’s side replied with the next three scores to give themselves a cushion going into the final moments. James Doran fisted over the first with Aaron Byrne adding a free. Doran was on target again to push his side into a 0-11 to 0-7 lead.

Dean Rock converted a free for Ballymun but it was to be Na Fianna’s night. Seán Caffrey fired over from a Glenn O’Reilly pass. Doran tagged on his fourth from play.

In the opening half Na Fianna 0-2 to 0-0 inside nine minutes, their opening score coming when Ballymun wing-back Leon Young in trying to clear his lines miskicked the ball over his own crossbar from a low Aaron Byrne cross into the danger zone.

Ballymun did reply with four points on the bounce with Paddy Small (2), Rock and Fiach Andrews on target.

Na Fianna finished the half on the up with a free from Aaron Byrne and tow scores from Conor McHugh.