A late Peter Crowley fisted point got the win for the Kingdom over Dublin


Dublin v Kerry - Michael Fitzsimons
Michael Fitzsimons was sent to the bench after a second yellow card tonight.

Kerry 1-18
Dublin 2-14

Despite a late push from Jim Gavin’s Dublin panel tonight, it was Kerry who came away with the spoils in a fixture that was always going to be entertaining.

The men from the Kingdom dominated huge sections of the game, and Dublin will rue some late mistakes that could have changed the outcome of the game.

That said Dublin still showed they can dig deep coming from five down with 6 minutes left in the match to tie the game deep into additional time.

But it was ultimately Peter Crowley’s fisted score with less than 2 minutes to play that sealed the win for the home side. Dublin also had to contend with losing Michael Fitzsimons to a second yellow card in the second half reducing them to 14 men.

The Dubs made three last minute switches to their starting line up, bringing in Con O’Callaghan, Darren Gavin and Brian Howard. Gavin O’Brien came into the full forward line for Kerry before Maurice Deegan threw the ball in at Austin Stack Park.

All eyes were on two particular stars tonight. Cormac Costello who was outstanding against Galway last week, and Sean O’Shea who had picked up the GAA Player Of The Week Award for the last two consecutive weeks. Tonight, it was the cool deliveries of Sean O’Shea that stood out for the winning side.

Three first half goals push the scores through the roof.

Jack Sherwood got things up and running for Kerry in a blistering opening phase, and Kerry led by 0-04 to 0-02 after eight minutes. The additional scores coming from Sean O’Shea, Paul Geaney and Stephen O’Brien. Dean Rock scored two frees and his third closed the gap to a single score.

But it was cat and mouse between the sides until O’Brien got on the end of a high ball knocked down by Diarmuid O’Connor to get the first goal of the evening. Kerry had little time to celebrate the 0-04 lead as the momentum swung the other direction.

Cormac Costello’s run was blocked and he elected to knock the ball back to Con O’Callaghan, and with three defenders in front of him, weaved through them to send the ball left of Shane Ryan and into the Kerry net in front of the terrace holding a huge throng of Dublin fans. A slight deflection, but a three pointer nonetheless.

Kerry, still playing at a ferocious intensity continued to press forward with scores from Tom O’Sullivan, Sean O’Shea (2) and Dara Moynihan. And on the half hour mark the home side were 0-05 clear and looked comfortable.

But Costello would be instrumental again in another brilliant Dublin move. From about 40 metres out he played the perfect pass to Paul Mannion. Mannion managed to shake off Brian O Beaglaioch and put himself in almost the same position as O’Callaghan had done earlier. This time the ball was rocketed low into the bottom right corner to raise another flag for Dublin.

With the gap closed to 0-02 it gave Dublin a better position to mount a comeback. When the half time whistle was blown Gavin O’Brien and James McCarthy has scored one each to end the half 1-11 to 2-06 in Kerry’s favour.

A serious second half from both sides leaves it so close

Darren Gavin opened to scoring for Dublin at the restart, but two frees from O’Shea and a score from play from Dara Moynihan and one from Tommy Walsh quickly put 0-05 between the sides again.

A good 10 minute spell saw McCarthy, Mannion and Rock put Dublin back within 0-02. Jack McCaffrey was introduced but Dublin would be dealt a blow when Michael Fitzsimons received a second yellow card for a tussle with Peter Crowley. But this seemed to spur Dublin on. Brian Fenton, Mannion and Costello (2) were all on the mark bringing the game level deep into additional time.

But on a night were Kerry were up for this game from the opening whistle, it was Crowley who had the final say, fisting the ball over from close range to push Kerry’s noses ahead and do enough to hang on for the win.

Dublin now have only one win from three rounds, were Kerry are still unbeaten. The Dubs have it all to do when they welcome Mayo to Croke Park in two weeks time. Next up for Kerry is a trip to Pearse Stadium to face Galway.

Kerry Scorers:

S O’Shea 0-08 (6f, 1 ‘45’)
S O’Brien 1-01
P Geaney 0-02
D Moynihan 0-02
T O’Sullivan 0-01
G O’Brien 0-01
T Walsh 0-01
P Crowley 0-01

Dublin Scorers:

Dean Rock 0-05 (4f)
Paul Mannion 1-02 (mark, 1f)
James McCarthy 0-03
Con O’Callaghan 1-00
Cormac Costello 0-02 (1f)
Darren Gavin 0-01
Brian Fenton 0-01


1. Shane Ryan
2. Peter Crowley
3. Jack Sherwood
4. Brian Ó Beaglaíoch
5. Tadhg Morley
6. Paul Murphy
7. Tom O’Sullivan
8. Jack Barry
9. Adrian Spillane
10. Diarmuid O’Connor
11. Sean O’Shea
12. Dara Moynihan
13. Paul Geaney
20. Gavin O’Brien
15. Stephen O’Brien

Kerry Subs:

21. Tommy Walsh for D O’Connor (HT)
22. Mark Griffin for A Spillane (53)
19. Gavin Crowley for P Geaney (55)
14. David Moran for T Morley (60)
18. Mikey Geaney for G O’Brien (70)


1. Evan Comerford
2. Michael Fitzsimons
7. Eoin Murchan
6. John Small
5. Eric Lowndes
3. Jonny Cooper
9. James McCarthy
8. Brian Fenton
21. Darren Gavin
22. Brian Howard
19. Con O’Callaghan
12. Niall Scully
13. Dean Rock
14. Cormac Costello
11. Paul Mannion


17. Paddy Andrews for E Lowndes (HT)
24. Jack McCaffrey for J Cooper (47)
23. Michael Darragh MacAuley for D Gavin (62)
26. Kevin McManamon for D Rock (62)
20. Paul Flynn for N Scully (62)