St. Judes, Lucan Sarsfields, Ballyboden St. Endas and Kilmacud Crokes advance to the Semi Finals of the Senior 1 Football Championship

Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship

An incredible weekend of action has just come to a close and we now know the four teams who will make up the Semi Finals in this year’s Go Ahead Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship. And with bigger crowds in attendance at Parnell Park yesterday and today we were treated to some great football. Here’s a rundown on the four Quarter Finals that were played out yesterday and today.

Go Ahead Dublin Senior 1 Football Quarter Finals
St. Judes 3-14 Thomas Davis 0-15

A 6 point lead at the first half water break was the foundation that Judes carved their path to the semi final beating Thomas Davis. A Niall Coakley converted penalty was the first of three goals for the Tymon North men. But Thomas Davis fought back to 0-02 by half time with the score at 1-08 to 0-09.

Fionn Murray leveled the game 3 minutes into the second half, and by the second half water break there was a bounce of a ball between the sides with Judes having the advantage on 1-12 to 0-14.

Tom Lahiff and Shay Ryan struck the net late in the half to give Judes a comfortable 7 point lead with the clock running down for Thomas Davis. And a Brian Coakley converted free capped a strong last quarter, seeing Judes into the Semi Finals.

Ballymun Kickhams 0-18 Lucan Sarsfields 1-16

Ciaran Smith’s 27th minute goal proved the difference in this quarter final as Lucan Sarsfields sunk reigning champions Ballymun Kickhams, ending their championship defence prematurely.

Kickhams held a 0-04 to 0-02 lead at the first half water break and hung onto that lead, extending it to 0-06 to 0-02 on the 20 minute mark. But three converted frees from Brendan Gallagher brought Lucan back to within a point before Smith hit the net after a great turnover.

With Lucan a point the better at the restart, James McCarthy drew Ballymun level. But by the second half water break Lucan had notched up a 6 point lead on 1-14 to 0-11. But the break broke Lucan’s momentum and Ballymun pulled themselves back with scores from Dean Rock and John and Paddy Small. On 62 minutes Rock converted a free to tie the game. But Gallagher once again put Lucan in front with the clock running out, sending them through to the last four.

Ballyboden St. Endas 2-17 Castleknock 1-11

Ballyboden were the first Sunday qualifier into the Semi Finals with a 9 point win over Castleknock on a 2-17 to 1-11 scoreline.

Castleknock held a one point lead at the first half water break, and despite Darragh Warnock goal for the Somerton men, Boden faired the better taking 4 point lead into the second half on 0-12 to 1-05.

Aaron Waters struck the first of Boden’s 2 second half goals 3 minutes after the restart. And Ciaran O’Reilly sank their second with 7 minutes remaining on the game clock.

The second half appeared to be one way traffic with Boden dominating. Castleknock only registered 6 points in the half with Ballyboden adding 2-05 to their first half tally to comfortably advance to the next round of games.

Kilmacud Crokes 1-11 Na Fianna 0-12

An incredible finish to the last of the four Quarter Finals in Parnell Park, and Kilmacud Crokes hang on to see themselves through to a Semi Final. Na Fianna really drove at Crokes, particularly in the second half but the Stillorgan side dug deep to hold their 2 point lead and secure the win.

Crokes were 5 clear at the first half water break thanks in part to a cracking Dara Mullins goal on 7 minutes, but credit must go to the Mobhi Road men for sheer determination.

Na Fianna slowly chipped away reducing the defecit to 4 points at half time on 1-06 to 0-05.

Again on the restart Na Fianna kept pressure on Crokes reducing the gap to just 2 scores.  By the water break the score was 1-08 to 0-09. And in a pulsatingly tight finish, it was Crokes who came out on top with only 3 points seperating them on a 1-11 to 0-12 scoreline.

An Aaron Byrne goal attempt deep into additional time was cleared off the line. Had it gone in it would have handed Na Fianna the win, but it just wasn’t to be.

And that’s the Quarter Finals completed, with wins for Judes, Lucan, Ballyboden and Kilmacud Crokes. The draw for the Semi Final will take place shortly in this years Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship. Stay tuned for more details.