Flashback: Dublin v Tyrone 1995 All Ireland Final


A momentous day in the history of the Dublin v Tyrone All Ireland rivalry

September 17th, 1995. Croke Park

The 108th All-Ireland final really had everything. It turned out to be a truly enthralling contest, with Dublin’s Charlie Redmond being sent off but refusing to leave the field. And Tyrone nearly drew level right at the death.

But it was to be the Dubs’ day. Their first All Ireland Senior Football Final win since 1983, after reaching the final for the fifth time since then. They’d knocked on the door in 1984, 1985, 1992 and 1994 with nothing to show for it. And 1995 would be Dublin’s last All Ireland success until their pivotal 2011 Championship victory.

The boys in blue won this game the hard way. Tyrone got off to a great start to go three points ahead but eventually Dublin settled and got back on level terms. A Charlie Redmond goal after 25 minutes gave the Dubs a 4 point lead and at half time the scoreline was 1-08 to 0-06.

A tense second half was full of incident. Tyrone’s Peter Canavan continued his remarkable display, scoring 11 of his sides 12 points. Charlie Redmond was sent off but didn’t leave the field until referee Paddy Russell informed him for a second time some moments later.

Dublin played with 14 men for 25 minutes, only managing to score twice in the second half. Tyrone chipped away at Dublin’s lead and even thought they had equalised through wing back Sean McLaughlin at the death. But the referee deemed Peter Canavan had touched the ball on the ground. The final whistle was blown to the relief of Dublin players and supporters.

Dublin Scorers:

Charlie Redmond 1-01
Paul Curran 0-01
Keith Barr 0-01
Jim Gavin 0-01
Dessie Farrell 0-04
Paul Clarke 0-02

Dublin Team:

1. John O’Leary
2. Paddy Moran
3. Ciaran Walsh
4. Keith Galvin
5. Paul Curran
6. Keith Barr
7. Mick Deegan
8. Paul Bealin
9. Brian Stynes
10. Jim Gavin
11. Paul Clarke
12.Dessie Farrell
13.Charlie Redmond
14. Jason Sherlock
15. Mick Galvin

Dublin Substitutions:

Pat Gilroy for Keith Galvin
Robbie Boyle for Mick Galvin
Vinny Murphy for Dessie Farrell

Referee: Paddy Russell

video credit: PJ’s Classic GAA Videos via YouTube