Judes, Crokes, Ballyboden and Ballymun reach the last four in the Dublin Senior Football Championship

Dublin Senior Football Championship

And then there were four. Some unbelievable action over the last two days in the Dublin Senior Football Championship. And now with the results in we know the pairings for this year’s Championship Semi Finals. Kilmacud Crokes will face Ballymun Kickhams and Ballyboden St. Endas and St. Judes will go head to head for a place in the massive decider.

Dublin Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals
St. Judes 1-17 Skerries Harps 1-10

A 13 minutes spell at the beginning of yesterday’s second half saw St. Judes hit 1-05 without reply to put them well on their way to an eventual 1-17 to 1-10 victory over Skerries Harps in Parnell Park. Dublin star Kevin McManamon was individually responsible for Jude’s goal as he powered from the halfway line on a massive solo run. Weaving around Skerries defenders Kevin took an initial shot from outside the large square. Cormac Rock saved the shot for Skerries only to find McManamon following in to palm the rebound into the net.

McManamon tallied 1-05 of his sides scoreline in a fantastic performance for the afternoon, ably assisted Padraic Clarke, Niall Coakley, Tom Devlin and Diarmuid McLoughlin. Huge credit to Rock in the Skerries goal, as they could have been further in the hole had he not saved a Niall Coakley attempt.

Inside the last 10 minutes Skerries were denied a goal when Ciaran Murphy’s strike went agonisingly wide. But they did come good Killian McGinnis slid the ball under Paul Copeland in the Judes net. And they could have added another. Rob McKee saw his shot saved by Copeland, and Oisin Murphy denied Mark Boylan on the rebound.

The sides were locked at 0-06 each after a relatively quiet first half, but it was Judes who controlled a lot of the exchanges in the second, ultimately running out comfortable seven point winners.

Kilmacud Crokes 4-15 St. Vincents 1-12

Another strong second half performance saw Kilmacud Crokes put St. Vincents to the sword in the second of yesterday’s Quarter Finals. The Stillorgan sides inside forward line did the hard work while their defence kept Vincents quiet, only allowing them four scores in the period.

Two second half goals from Hugh Kenny, added to one each from Paul Mannion and Dara Mullins in the opening half were key to Crokes victory. Tomás Quinn had a Vincents penalty saved by Conor Ferris in the Crokes net, but at that point it wouldn’t have made a difference as Crokes had already the game in the bag.

Kenny’s first goal was a recovery of a long point attempt, firing it into the Vincent’s net. He followed it 20 minutes later with a repeat of the move on the other side of the goal.

Only one point seperated the sides after an enthralling first period. In the fast paced opening there wasn’t much to seperate the sides until Paul Mannion scored Crokes opening goal in the ninth. But Greg Murphy replied for Vincents shortly afterward to give them a slight edge. Crokes found themselves trailing by 0-04 before Dara Mullins got them back in their stride with a fisted goal from a Craig Dias point attempt.

Raheny 0-16 Ballyboden St. Endas 2-16 (after extra time)

Raheny and Ballyboden St. Endas served up a whopper earlier today with Boden eventually shrugging off Raheny in extra time. Level at 1-13 to 0-16 the teams needed the extra time before Boden registered 1-03 without reply to end the contest.

Brian Fenton had a goal chance saved by Boden keeper Darragh Gogan. Ciaran O’Reilly netted for Boden after his point attempt rebounded to him off the upright as he fired past Ciaran Heapes.

Extra time was forced by Raheny. Substitute Sean Grenham converted a mark, followed by two from play and a Brian Fenton score to level the game. Ballyboden first goal came in the 45th from a Ryan Basquel converted penalty. And Boden had a chance to win the game but Basquel’s free attempt drifted wide. Their fortune worsened when they lost Cathal Flaherty to a second yellow card.

At half time of normal time Boden led by 0-09 to 0-06. Raheny were ahead 0-05 to 0-04 at the 19th, but four unanswered points put Boden in the driving seat. Raheny eventually broke the scoring pattern before Colm Basquel finished the half with a converted free.

Na Fianna 2-13 Ballymun Kickhams 1-18

Ballymun Kickhams certainly earned the fourth slot in the Semis after a much improved second half display against NA Fianna in the last of the quarters today. Trailing by 1-10 to 0-08 at the break Ballymun restarted kicking six scores on the bounce.

Led by the likes of James McCarthy, John Small and Cameron McCormack Kickhams took control of the game with McCarthy’s point in the opening minute of the second-half a signal of intent. Three converted Dean Rock frees closed the gap to the minimum, with Jason Whelan bringing the sides level. Andrew McCaul put their noses in front after converting a mark, but Aaron Byrne landed a free for Na Fianna to square it at 0-14 to 1-11.

Na Fianna missed a golden opportunity through Conor McHugh. At the other end Ballymun succeeded when Andrew McCaul went one on one with Stephen Murray, finishing to the net. Na Fianna battled on, losing Jonny Cooper to a black card. David Lacey had a close range chance saved by Evan Comerford. Niall Cooper did find the Ballymun net late on but it was only a consolation for the Mobhi Road men as Ballymun advance to the last four.