Round 2 completed in the Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship and the knockout picture is looking clearer

Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship

Eight games played out over Friday and yesterday afternoon in this year’s Go Ahead Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship. And with only one round remaining the shape of the Quarter Finals is now looking promising for a number of clubs. Let’s run down the results from Round 2 of the Football championship.

Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship, Round 2
Group 1
Ballinteer St. Johns 0-08 (8) Kilmacud Crokes 0-12 (12)
Raheny 1-13 (16) Templeogue Synge Street 3-07 (16)

Reigning Champions Kilmacud Crokes secured their second consecutive win in Group 1 to see them clear at the top of the table, guaranteeing them a slot on this year’s knockouts. Despite the game being a low scoring affair, Crokes had a 0-09 to 0-05 lead over Ballinteer at the half time whistle. And with both sides only registering 3 scores each on the restart it meant the champions had done enough to see the game out.

On Friday night Raheny and Templeogue Synge Street played out a thrilling 1-13 to 3-07 draw in their Round 2 fixture. Things looked very good for Raheny in the opening half finishing 0-07 to 0-01 at the break. But Synge Street were not out of the contest. Both sides raised green flags within 5 minutes of the restart. Templeogue Synge Street hit the net again in the 37th minutes to start closing the gap. And with 6 minutes remaining in the game they hit the net again to make it a 1 point game. They tied the game in the 54th and following one more score for each side the game ended in a draw.

That’s a second draw for Templeogue Synge Street who sit below Crokes in the table. Raheny and Ballinteer have one point each before facing each other in the final round. Crokes will face Templeogue in Round 3

Group 2
Cuala 4-11 (23) Clontarf 3-07 (16)
Ballyboden St. Endas 4-10 (22) Ballymun Kickhams 2-11 (17)

Things are wide open in the Group 2 competition as it stands after 2 rounds. Cuala and Ballyboden St. Endas share the top spot on 3 point a piece, with Ballymun Kickhams on 2 points with one game remaining.

Cuala picked up a 4-11 to 3-07 win over Clontarf yesterday evening at O’Toole Park. Only 2 points seperated the sides at half time on a 0-06 to 0-04 scoreline. But an eventful second session saw seven goals netted between the sides with Cuala eventually settling on a 7 point victory. it leaves Clontarf at the bottom of the table going into Round 3 against Ballboden.

Boden will be happy to take a 4-10 to 2-11 victory over Ballymun Kickhams away from yesterday’s fixture at Parnell Park, leaving Ballymun on a must win situation against Cuala. Ballymun had a one point advantage at half time and just like their counterparts in the group, supporters were treated to a 6 goal second half with 5 points seperating the sides at full time with Boden securing the win.

Group 3
Na Fianna 2-08 (14) St. Judes 0-09 (9)
Skerries Harps 4-09 (21) Thomas Davis 2-17 (23)

Na Fianna make it 2 wins from 2 after their 2-08 to 0-09 win over St. Judes on Friday night in Parnell Park. It takes some pressure off the Mobhi Road men before facing Skerries Harps in the final round. At 3 scores each things were level between the teams at half time but 2-05 against 0-06 in the second session saw James Doran net twice to give Na Fianna the edge.

Thomas Davis bounced back from their opening round defeat to Na Fianna to score a 2-17 to 4-09 win over Skerries on Friday at St. Margarets. Three first half goals gave Skerries a 3-03 to 1-05 half time advantage but Thomas Davis rallied on the restart to net a goal and eventually edge in fron finishing two points clear of their opponents. They’ll face Judes in the final round with the winners securing a knockout slot with Na Fianna already guaranteed a spot in the Quarter Finals.

Group 4
Lucan Sarsfields 1-21 (24) Round Towers Lusk 1-07 (10)
Castleknock 3-14 (23) Whitehall Colmcille 3-16 (25)

After losing to Castleknock in the opening round Lucan Sarsfields go back on track yesterday with a 1-21 to 1-07 win over Round Towers Lusk, leaving Towers at the bottom of the Group 4 table. It gives Lucan a shout for a knockout spot ahead of their final round clash with tabel toppers Whitehall Colmcille. It’ll be a titanic battle between the sides but Lucan will  be happy after their result at Balgriffan.

Meanwhile Whitehall are flying this championship season with a late Cormac Costello goal picking off Castleknock with a 3-16 to 3-14 thriller at Parnell Park yesterday afternoon. Castleknock would have been confident after their opening win over Lucan but Colmcilles had other ideas and have secured themselves a Quarter Final slot after 2 rounds.

There’s a few week’s break in Senior Championship action, but we’ll have plenty of Camogie and Ladies Football to keep ourselves busy over the coming weeks so stay tuned.