Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship Results


In the blink of an eye the opening round of this year’s Senior 1 Football Championship has been completed

Go Ahead Senior Football Championship

A busy weekend of action across the county in all of this year’s Football Championship and we can wrap up the opening round of the Go Ahead Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship as all eight games have been played out. We’ve had tight wins and some interesting draws in Round 1, so let’s get into the details.

Senior 1 Club Football Championship
Group 1
Kilmacud Crokes 1-13 Raheny 0-05
Templeogue Synge Street 1-10 Ballinteer St. Johns 0-13

Reigning Football Champions Kilmacud Crokes got their defence of the title off to a winning start with a comfortable victory over Raheny yesterday evening at Parnell Park. Leading at half time by 1-06 to 0-3 thanks in part to a Aidan Jones goal on 11 minutes, Crokes never let their gameplan loose direction against a ballsy Raheny side. They may have lost Rory O’Carroll to a second yellow in the closing stages of the game but Crokes had done more than enough to finish 11 points clear of their opponents.

Earlier in the afternoon yesterday O’Toole Park hosted a tight draw between debutants Templeogue Synge Street and Ballinteer St. John. Ballinteer to their credit held the upper hand for opening half and the majority of the second. Leading by 2 points on 0-05 to 0-03 Ballinteer brought momentum on the restart. Traling by 4 points heading to additional time Templeogue found the net at the perfect time to make the score 1-09 to 0-13 and 2 minutes later they registered the final score of the game to finally catch Ballinteer and tie the game.

In Round 2 Ballinteer will entertain Kilmacud Crokes with Templeogue making the trip to Raheny.

Group 2
Ballyboden St. Endas 0-16 Cuala 1-13
Ballymun Kickhams 0-15 Clontarf 0-14

Last year’s Senior 2 Champions Cuala made an impact in the higher grade holding Ballyboden St. Endas to a 0-16 to 1-13 draw at O’Toole Park yesterday evening. The side literally couldn’t be split with the score at 0-10 to 1-07. Cuala netted their goal in the first Quarter but that didn’t rock the experience of Boden. And there was nothing between the sides in an even closer second half.

Ballymun Kickhams were made to work hard on Friday night against a battling Clontarf, but finished out 1 point winners on a 0-15 to 0-14 scoreline. The Ballymun men took a 0-08 to 0-07 lead into the break but Clontarf were not being written off having clawed their way to a point down. They even hit the front during the second half making Ballymun double down. But at Full Time it was Ballymun who took the first points to lead the group.

In Round 2 Ballymun will face Cuala, with Clontarf taking on Ballyboden St. Endas.

Group 3
St. Judes 1-17 Skerries Harps 0-10
Thomas Davis 0-10 Na Fianna 1-12

St. Judes and Na Fianna ran out winners in the opening round of Group 3. Judes came away from Balgriffin yesterday with a convincing 1-17 to 0-10 win over Skerries Harps. With a comfortable 1-10 to 0-04 lead at Half Time and kept Skerries further than arms lengt away throughout the second half. The goal coming 3 minutes from the end of the first half gave the Tymon North men an advantage they’d hold to comfortably seal the deal.

For Na Fianna, they scored a 5 point victory over a quality Thomas Davis side in an epic battle at Parnell Park yesterday with a Conor McHugh second half goal aiding the Mobhi Road men to victory. Na Fianna had a 0-07 to 0-04 advantage at half time in this game. And with McHugh hitting the nert five minutes after the restart it gave his side a five point lead Thomas Davis never looked like closing.

Na Fianna and St. Judes will go head to head in Round 2 with Skerries and Thomas Davis squaring off.

Group 4
Round Towers Lusk 1-08 Whitehall Colmcille 2-20
Lucan Sarsfields 1-11 Castleknock 2-16

After avoiding relegation last season Whitehall Colmcille got off to the perfect start in the opening round with a 2-20 to 1-08 win over Round Towers Lusk. Colmcilles were 8 points the better at the break and pushed on to register another 1-12 after the restart giving them a good starting point ahead of facing Lucan Sarsfield in  Round 2.

For Lucan it was defeat in their Round 1 clash against Castleknock, giving Castleknock a points advantage before facing Roud Towers in Round 2. The Friday night game at Monastery Road was an entertaining affair with three goals to keep supporters on their toes. Lucan had a slight advantage before Tommy McDaniel netted Castleknock’s first goal in the opening Quarter. And from there Castleknock never slowed down taking a 1-08 to 0-05 lead into the break. With minutes to go in the game Castleknock netted a second to put them 11 points clear of Lucan. Lucan did get a late consolation goal from a Bren Gallagher penalty, but it only made the defecit 8 points with Castleknock sealing the win.

Next week focus returns to the Senior Hurling Champiolnship with four Senior 1 Championship games happening next Saturday. Stayed tuned this week for more details.