Dublin And Kerry Will Meet Again With The Replay Set For Saturday The14th Of September

Dublin and Kerry Flags In the pitch for the 2019 All Ireland Final

Dublin And Kerry will have to do it all over again after drawing today’s pulsating All Ireland Final in front of a full house in Croke Park.

Dublin looked in full control of the game in the first half and led by four with the game heading for half-time, but the dynamics of the game were turned on its head just before the break with the sending off of Jonny Cooper on a second yellow.

Although playing with 14 men for entire second half Dublin continued to play the game on their own terms and still led by five after 55 minutes. But Kerry got right back into the game a minute later with a goal from Killian Spillane and heading into injury time Peter Keane’s side led by one and the elusive five in-a-row looked like it might claim another victim.

But Dublin showed the true character of champions and Dean Rock who was excellent throughout kicked over the equaliser and had the opportunitywitht he last kick of the game to claim the win from a free from a difficult angle out on the Cusack Stand sideline.

Unfortunately Rock’s effort just drifted the wrong side of the near post and the two teams will have to go again on the 14th of September.

Dublin won the throw-in and the ball was played into Paul Mannion who split the posts. The sides were level with the next attack as Seán O’Shea replies in kind.

The action was fast and furious and Rock got on the end of Dublin’s next attacking move to score a well taken point, moments later he added another from a free and Jim Gavin’s side led by two.

It took six minutes for the next score from the boot of David Clifford. Seconds later and Kerry were awarded a penalty it looked a harsh call.

Paul Geaney was entrusted with the spot-kick but his effort was brilliantly saved by Stephen Cluxton who dived to his right to get a strong hand on the ball to push it wide for a 45’ which O’Shea converted.

Paul Mannion cut in along the end line in the 16th minute to fist the ball over the bar and O’Shea pointed from a free for Kerry.

Then came the opening goal of the final, Ciaran Kilkenny rose majestically in the air to collect a kick-out from Stephen Cluxton, he fed the ball to Mannion running down along the Hogan Stand touchline, Mannion played it into Scully and he in turn fed th onrushing Jack McCaffrey who buried the ball past Shane Ryan in the Kerry goal.

Dublin extended their lead in the 25th minute with a free from Rock after a foul on Con O’Callaghan. Sean O’Shea clipped a free over for Kerry to reduce the deficit but two points in two minutes from Rock and O’Callaghan had Dublin fully in control with just four minutes to the break.

Rock and O’Shea swapped converted frees and then with the game heading into first half injury time came the pivotal refereeing decision of the game from David Gough as he issued Jonny Cooper with a second yellow card and subsequent red both yellow issued to Cooper looked questionable.

Sean O’Shea converted the free kick and Dublin down to fourteen headed into the dressing rooms at the break with a four point lead with the score 1-09 to 0-08.

Kerry reduced the deficit in half inside the opening six minutes of the resumption with two Seán O’Shea points one from a 45’.

Jack McCaffrey who was excellent throughout broke forward to fist a point over the bar, Gavin Crowley pointed for Kerry but a Dean Rock converted free and another point from McCaffrey pushed the Dublin lead back to four.

With twenty minutes left on the clock David Clifford for once found a little space to swing a nice effort over the bar to leave three points between the sides.

But another succesful free from Rock and a point from McCaffrey to bring his tally to an impressive 1-03 gave Dublin a five point advantage with fifteen minutes left and Jim Gavin’s side looked fully in control despite their numerical disadvantage.

Seconds later though that all changed, a long ball towards substitute Tommy Walsh was caught by David Byrne but as he landed the ball spilled form his grasp, Walsh swooped on the ball and layer it off to Killian Spillane who slid the ball past Cluxton and into the net.

Points from Walsh and O’Shea followed to level the game with eight minutes left. Another point from Dean Rock from a free put Jim Gavin’s side back in front but Kerry responded with two in a row from O’Shea and Killian Spillane to give Peter Keane’s side a slender one point lead.

In the fourth minute of seven minutes of injury time Dublin were awarded a free which cooly slotted between the sticks to level the game again. Just before the whistle Dublin won another free out on the touchline in the Cusack Stand side, it was a difficult angle and Rock struck his effort just to the left of the near post and Gough blew the full time whistle and Dublin and Kerry will have to do it all over again at 6pm on Saturday the 14th of September.


Dublin Scorers:


14. Dean Rock 0-10 (6f, 1 ’45)

5. Jack McCaffrey 1-03

13. Paul Mannion 0-02

11. Con O’Callaghan 0-01


Kerry Scorers:


11. Sean O’Shea 0-10 (4f, 3 ’45)

15. Killian Spillane 1-01

13. David Clifford 0-02

12. Stephen O’Brien 0-01

6. Gavin Crowley 0-01

21. Tommy Walsh 0-01



1. Stephen Cluxton

2. David Byrne

3. Jonny Cooper

4. Michael Fitzsimons

5. Jack McCaffrey

6. James McCarthy

7. John Small

8. Brian Fenton

9. Michael Darragh Macauley

10. Niall Scully

11. Con O’Callaghan

12. Brian Howard

13. Paul Mannion

14. Dean Rock

15. Ciarán Kilkenny


Dublin Substitutions:

26. Paddy Small for 9. Michael Darragh Macauley (51)

23. Eoin Murchan for 7. John Small (57) blood

18. Diarmuid Connolly for 12. Brian Howard (67)

19. Cormac Costello for 13. Paul Mannion (67)

22. Kevin McManamon for 10. Niall Scully (70)



1. Shane Ryan

2. Jason Foley

3. Tadhg Morley

4. Tom O’Sullivan

5. Paul Murphy

6. Gavin Crowley

7. Brian O’Beaglaoich

8. David Moran

9. Adrian Spillane

10. Gavin White

11. Sean O’Shea

12. Stephen O’Brien

13. David Clifford

14. Paul Geaney

24. Jack Barry


Kerry Substitutions:

15. Killian Spillane for 9. Adrian Spillane (44)

19. Jack Sherwood for 10. Gavin White (48)

21. Tommy Walsh for 7. Brian O’Beaglaoich (52)

18. Jonathan Lyne for 6. Gavin Crowley (67)

20. Dara Moynihan for 24. Jack Barry (72)

26. Mark Griffin for 12. Stephen O’Brien (77)