We Are Dublin Senior 3 Club Championship Final

Faughs Celtic 3-05
Kilmacud Crokes 2-08

This was a cracking game from start to finish peppered with goal mouth action and tremendous commitment for the full hour and more. That little bit extra was crucial for Kilmacud who drew level in the 63rd minute of the game.

Faughs were that close to Senior 2 status and for a club that was formed not that long ago, that would be some achievement. They may still reach that goal as the sides must replay for that honour.

This was a game full of skill, pace and great team work and it began in style for the Tymon Park team with Isobelle Costelloe pointing from play and a free in the first 5 minutes. Michelle O’Hurley put her name on Croke’s first score, her next score would be even more crucial but more about that later.

Five minutes later Faughs received a great boost when the dangerous Kerrie Finnegan goaled. It wasn’t her only highlight as her spectacular catch near the corner flag drew gasps from the large crowd.

But in a see-saw game the next five minutes belonged to the Glenalbyn side. Charlotte O’Farrell showed great pace to point in the 13th minute and before she knew it she was in possession again thanks to a great pass from Siofra Walsh. This time the corner forward found the back of the net to level the game. Two minutes later Emer O’Rafferty put Crokes in front for the only time in the game to cap a great 3 minute burst by her team.

The remainder of the half went Faughs’ way. First a long range free by Catherine Costelloe was finished to the net by Teresa Timmons and Faughs were back in the driving seat. Matters got even better in the 24th minute when Kate Holland netted. A great Siofra Walsh run almost found the back of the net but Cora Hogan denied Crokes with a great save, it would not be the only time in the game that Cora protected her goal.

Five points to the good and playing well, Faughs were in a strong position and Crokes needed to respond or the game could be out of their reach.

React they did and Faughs had to defend with might and in particular from the Lewis sisters Megan and Rebecca in the central positions. Sorcha Meagher, team captain, led the way with the first score of the half to Crokes and narrowed the gap further in the 42nd minute with her first point from play. By the 46th minute, the same player had cut the gap to two points with two frees. Crokes were hurling well at this point particularly Rachel Noctor at centre back and her colleague to the right Aisling Whitely.

Although it took Faughs until the 17th minute of the second period to get their first score of the second half, when Teresa Timmons did point it proved to be a tonic. It was quickly followed by a great Kerrie Finnegan score before Isobelle Costelloe showed great composure to stretch their lead to what seemed maybe a safe advantage.

But back came Crokes. Rachel Noctor took a free in her own half and rather than hit and hope she picked out Siofra Walsh with a well placed delivery, she found Charlotte O’Farrell and her pass was hammered to the net by Michelle O’Hurley, the player who notched Kilmacud’s first score.

They still needed another point to draw level and when the free opportunity came Sorcha Meagher did the rest to level an enthralling game.

Kilmacud Crokes Scorers:

Sorcha Meagher 0-05
Michelle O’Hurley 1-01
Charlotte O’Farrell 1-01
Emer Rafferty 0-01

Faughs-Celtic Scorers:

Kerrie Finneagan 1-01
Teresa Timmons 1-01
Isobelle Costelloe 0-03
Kate Holland 1-00

Referee: John Doherty