Dublin Intermediate Camogie starting 15 named for opening All Ireland game against last years All Ireland finalist Galway
Liberty Insurance All Ireland Intermediate Camogie Championship
Galway v Dublin
Saturday 17th of October
Venue: Pearse Stadium
Referee: Barry Nea
Dublin Intermediate Camogie manager Dave Dunning has named his starting 15 for today’s opening All Ireland fixture against last years finalists Galway in Pearse Stadium.
Both county teams met in last season’s competition in the group stages. Dublin were already out of the running for the knockout stages and the new squad and management had only worked together for a couple of weeks prior to the game.
With an eye on this season Dunning started five minor players against Galway with three of those making their debut at Intermediate level.
Although Galway, who went on to reach the All Ireland final last September won by twelve points in the end, that scoreline didn’t reflect the full story of the game.
Dublin trailed at the break by nine points but they fought back in the second half and two stunning goals got them right back into the contest. But the shear effort it took to get back in contention took its toll as Dublin faded in the closing stages and Galway took full advantage to rattle off five points to put a nice gloss on the final scoreline.
Dublin head to the West coast today with a much changed squad and they couldn’t have asked for a tougher opening assignment away from home.
Galway will be favourites to claim the win today on their home patch against a youthful inexperienced Dublin side. By about 3.30pm this afternoon manager Dave Dunning will have a much better understanding exactly were his young squad stand in terms of this year’s championship.
The Dublin Intermediates will have the honour today of being the first adult side to wear the brand new Dublin Jersey in a competitive game.
Dublin Intermediate Starting 15
1. Dara Cooke (Crumlin)
2. Aisling Darcy (Naomh Jude)
3. Niamh Gleeson (Na Fianna)
4. Niamh Doherty (Naomh Jude)
5. Emma Parker (Skerries Harps)
6. Ciara Buchanan (C) (St Finnians)
7. Sion Keating (Good Counsel)
8. Niamh Heffernan (Naomh Peregrine)
9. Aoife Mc Kearney (Lucan Sarsfields)
10. Aoife Heffernan (Naomh Peregrine)
11. Aoibhe Dillon (Naomh Mearnóg)
12. Emma Gray (Na Fianna)
13. Sarah Fenlon (Kilmacud Crokes)
14. Nicole Thorne (Skerries Harps)
15. Ciara Holland (Naomh Mearnóg)
Dublin Intermediate Substitutes
16. Stef Carty (Na Fianna)
17. Sinead O’Donoghue (Kilmacud Crokes)
18. Megan Benson (Naomh Maur)
19. Lauren Robinson (Raheny)
20. Erica Tobin (Ballyboden St Endas)
21. Chloe O’Connor (Lucan Sarsfields)
22. Aine Reilly (Good Counsel)
23. Niamh McCormack (Raheny)
24. Robyn Flynn (Ballyboden St Endas)