Dublin v Wexford - Mikie Dwyer

Second Half substitute Mikie Dwyer scored two goals to put the Model County through

Dublin 3-12
Wexford 3-15

After some big wins and a more than convincing Leinster campaign, Dublin’s U21 Hurlers bowed out of this year’s Championship after losing to Wexford in Parnell Park last night. Taking the lead into the second half, Dublin were put under the cosh as the Slaneysiders put in an unbelievable 30 plus minutes to sneak the game and advance to play Galway in this year’s Final.

Dublin were definitely the stronger side in the opening half, despite Wexford registering the first two scores, and before the second quarter they had a 1-04 to 0-04 lead thanks the Na Fianna forward paring of Colin Currie and Donal Burke sharing the spoils. Currie got Dublin’s opening goal in the 14th from a knockdown by Burke.

Another three scores came from Burke (2) and Currie before Wexford registered again, scoring three of their own from Seamus Casey. And just before the half came to an end Colin Currie struck a free off the post and Cian O’Sullivan was the quickest to respond pointing off his left to give Dublin a 1-08 to 0-08 half time lead.

Wexford’s Comeback

But Wexford made up for a lot of wides in the first half with around 18 seconds on the second half clock. Casey set up Joe O’Connor who made no mistake to raise the first green flag.

Casey continued to chalk free after free, and after that burst forward and was on target only to be blocked by Eoghan Conroy, but Mikie Dwyer was on hand to smash the ball into the bottom corner to give Wexford a much deserved goal.

With Wexford leading 2-12 to 1-10, Dublin powered through and Colin Currie grabbed a long delivery dropping behind the full-back line from Daire Gray and flicked the sliotar past keeper James Henebery to reduce the gap to just two points. But Wexford were quick to respond with scores from Stephen O’Gorman and another Casey free. Conroy put a huge score over to get Dublin back to within 0-03, but as the clocked ticked away Mikie Dwyer got his second goal to put Wexford six points clear.

Eoghan Dunne did score a third goal for Dublin in the dying seconds of the game but Wexford had tallied enough to leave them safe and through to the final.

Scorers for Dublin:

Colin Currie 2-07 (4f)
Eoghan Dunne 1-00
Donal Burke 0-03
Eoghan Conroy 0-01
Daire Gray 0-01 (1 65)

Scorers for Wexford:

Seamus Casey 0-08 (0-7f)
Joe O’Connor 1-03
Mikie Dwyer 2-00
Stephen O’Gorman 0-01
Aaron Maddock 0-01
Rory Higgins 0-01


1. Dara Perry
2. Shane Howard
3. Paddy Smyth
4. Donnacha Ryan
5. Eoghan Conroy
6. Conor Burke
7. Daire Gray
8. Fergal Whitely
9. Conor Ryan
10. Ciarán Dowling
11. Paul Crummey
12. Ronan Hayes
13. Cian O’Sullivan
14. Dónal Burke
15. Colin Currie


22. Cillian Costello for O’Sullivan (36)
20. Lee Gannon for Dowling (46)
18. Cian Hendricken for Howard (Fingallians) (50)
24. Sean Currie for Whitely (54)
23. Eoghan Dunne for Hayes (57)


1. James Henebery
2. Sean Barden
3. Darrne Byrne
4. Conor Firman
5. Aaron Maddock
6. Damien Reck
7. Ian Carthy
8. Shane Reck
9. Rowan White
10. Joe O’Connor
11. Rory O’Connor
12. Liam Stafford
13. Stephen O’Gorman
14. Oisin Foley
15. Seamus Casey


17. Garry Molloy for Firman (21)
21. Rory Higgins for Barden (29)
23. Mikie Dwyer for Foley (44)
24. Eoin Kelly for Stafford (62)