St Vincent’s 3-20

Templeogue Synge Street 3-09

Reigning Dublin SFC holders St Vincent’s cruised into the semi-finals with a stunning second half display against the determined challenge of Templeogue Synge Street in Parnell Park this evening.

Vincent’s were red hot favourites to make it to the last four and midway through the first half as they reeled off point after point to push five ahead the result looked to be only going one way.

But a sloppiness infected Vincent’s once slick play and Synger hauled themselves back into the contest. They reeled off three quick points to cut the Vincent’s lead to two and then in the twenty ninth minute Templeogue’s Ger Vickery found the back of the net with a well taken goal and all of a sudden his side had taken the lead by 1-6 to 0-8.

The shocked Vincent’s supporters were wondering what was unfolding before them as they squinted from the stand into the low autumn sun. In the dying seconds of the half Ruairí Trainor equalised for Vincent’s and they headed into the dressing rooms to refocus.

After the shock result in the days earlier game some of the Vincent’s followers could have been forgiven for being a little nervous that it might be a case of a day for the underdogs but they needn’t have worried.

Vincent’s came out after the break like a tornado and tore Templeogue apart, the beast had been awoken from its slumber and in a seven minute spell they hit Synger for 3-05 without reply and it was game over.

With only seconds gone into the second half and some supporters still making their way back to their seats with their half-time cuppas,Shane Carthy scored the first point of the second period after some good work by Ger Brennan and the now motoring Diarmuid Connolly.

Carthy followed up quickly with a second point as Vinnies started to carve the Templeogue defence apart. A brilliant Connolly effort was followed up by a Ciaran Dorney’s score and all of a sudden Vincent’s led 0-13 to 1-6 in a breathless opening couple of minutes.

Vinnies very own Peter Pan Tomás Quinn rolled back the years to strike for the first of his hat-trick of goals in the thirty fourth minute.

A brilliantly high fielded ball from Gavin Burke started a slick moving passage of play which culminated in the ball reaching Brendan Egan who spotted an unmarked Quinn to his left and he unselfishly Switched the ball to his teammate who buried it to the net.

The crowd didn’t have to wait long for Quinns second goal as two minutes later Mossy raised another green flag when a Ruairí Trainor’s attempted point crashed back off the bar and Mossy reacted quickest and as the ball dropped he volleyed it past the despairing dive of the Synger keeper into the bottom corner of the net.

Connolly who was now pulling all the strings for Vincent’s hit a fantastic pass to pick out Carthy who gave a quick off-load to the impressive Quinn to complete his second half hat-trick. The scoreboard operator was working overtime and only twelve second half minutes had passed with Vincent’s in cruise control leading 3-14 to 1-6.

Synger to their credit never stopped trying against a tidal wave of attacks from their opponents with Niall Scully the standout player for Templeogue.

With minutes to go and Vincent’s easing up leading by 3-20 to 1-09 Synger got rewarded for their never say die attitude with two consolation goals from Eoghan O’Gara and substitute Jack Swaine. But the game had been long decided early in the second half and Vincent’s now look forward to the semi finals.

If their second half powerhouse display is anything to go by they will be very short odds to make it back to back championships. -NigelIMG_4896.JPG

You may also like...